Winter Driving Safety Tips
November 25, 2013
These winter driving safety tips can help keep you and your family safe as you travel on the roadways during the upcoming winter months.
With winter upon us, making sure that your family stays safe and is protected during your commute is essential to ensuring that you and your loved ones can fully enjoy this years’ holiday season. The following are some winter driving safety tips that can help you travel safely through the coming months:
- Before any trip…
- Warm up your vehicle, but make sure you are not doing so in an enclosed space (like in a garage).
- Check your tire pressure, as well as the tread on your tires.
- Make sure that your gas tank is at least half-way full to avoid gas line freezing.
- Check the weather reports and avoid taking routes where you may encounter especially poor weather conditions. If you can’t avoid poor weather, consider delaying your trip.
- Keep blankets, gloves, a flashlight or flares, nonperishable food, water and a first-aid kit in your trunk so that you have these items if you are, for some reason, stuck on the side of the road.
- When driving in the snow…
- Decrease your speeds, as your tires have far less traction with the road, which means your vehicle will not respond as readily to your commands to stop.
- Increase the distance you keep between you and the vehicles in front of you, as it will take longer to stop your car on icy and snowy roads.
- Do not try to quickly accelerate up hills. While this can burn gas unnecessarily, it may also cause your wheels to spin in place, which could, in turn, cause your vehicle to get stuck in the snow.
- Try not to stop when driving up a hill because it’s much harder to get your car going from a stopped state on an incline when the roads are icy.
The Trusted Denver, Colorado Car Accident Lawyers at McDermott Law
If you or a loved one has recently been injured in any type of traffic accident and suspect that another driver may be to blame, you will need a skilled attorney to fight for your rights. For more than 30 years, the Denver car accident lawyers at McDermott Law have been dedicated to helping traffic accident victims build the strongest possible cases and obtain the compensation they need and deserve. In addition to standing up to insurance companies outside of court, our experienced lawyers are effective at confronting defense lawyers in the courtroom in order to help our clients secure the maximum possible settlements for their injuries and losses.
Our extensive knowledge of personal injury law, our vast litigating experience and our unflinching dedication to our clients allows our attorneys to consistently provide accident victims with the best possible representation for any type of accident claim. Our ultimate goal is to help our clients resolve their cases as beneficially and efficiently as possible.
For more information about your legal rights and entitlements, along with a professional evaluation of your potential case, set up a complimentary consult with our lawyers by calling us at (303) 964-1800 or by emailing us using the form on this screen.