Toyota Prius Recall Issued Due to Vehicles’ Software Problems
February 25, 2014
A recently announced Toyota Prius recall has been issued due to reported programming errors that are causing software problems.
On February 12, 2014, Toyota announced that it would be recalling its third-generation Prius hybrid vehicles due to reported programming errors that are causing software problems. This vehicle equipment defect is reportedly causing some of the vehicles’ transistors to overheat, resulting in a sudden loss of power and the vehicle coming to an immediate stop if it is being driven when this software problem occurs.
According to Toyota officials:
- The company has received more than 400 reports of this software problem affecting Prius vehicles since 2011.
- To date, there have been no reported car accidents or injuries caused by this equipment malfunction.
- This Prius recall will affect approximately 1.9 million Prius vehicles worldwide, with about 713,000 of these vehicles being located in North America.
Some industry professionals who have been closely monitoring vehicle recalls in recent years have pointed out that vehicle recalls like the recent Toyota Prius recall are occurring more often in recent years because:
- Hybrid vehicles are more complicated than some traditional cars, and they tend to rely more heavily on software.
- There is a tendency for vehicle equipment manufacturers to try to interchange parts like transistors between different makes and models of vehicles in an effort to save costs; however, this practice can increase the risk of equipment malfunctions.
Another Toyota Recall Expected…
Not part of this recall but expected to be announced in the near future is another Toyota recall that will reportedly affect various SUVs and trucks produced by this manufacturer. While this recall is also reportedly related to software problems that are causing serious vehicle equipment malfunctions, it will specifically affect approximately 260,000 RAV4 crossovers, Lexus SUVs and Toyota Tacoma pickup trucks.
The Trusted Denver, Colorado Car Accident Lawyers at McDermott Law
If you or a loved one has recently been injured in a traffic accident and suspect that defective vehicle equipment may be to blame, you will need a skilled attorney to fight for your rights. For more than 30 years, the Denver car accident lawyers at McDermott Law have been dedicated to helping motor vehicle accident victims build the strongest possible cases and obtain the compensation they need and deserve. In addition to standing up to insurance companies outside of court, our experienced lawyers are effective at confronting defense lawyers in the courtroom in order to help our clients secure the maximum possible settlements for their injuries and losses.
Our extensive knowledge of personal injury law, our vast litigating experience and our unflinching dedication to our clients allows our attorneys to consistently provide accident victims with the best possible representation for any type of accident claim. Our ultimate goal is to help our clients resolve their cases as beneficially and efficiently as possible.
For more information about your legal rights and entitlements, along with a professional evaluation of your potential case, set up a complimentary consult with our lawyers by calling us at (303) 964-1800 or by emailing us using the form on this screen.