Timothy M. Garvey
Timothy M. Garvey
Timothy M. Garvey is a litigation attorney with the Denver law firm of McDermott Law, LLC, specializing in the areas of ERISA disability insurance, insurance bad faith, insurance coverage, insurance recovery, and personal injury. Tim is licensed to practice in all courts in the State of Colorado and has represented clients in matters before the Colorado Supreme Court, the Colorado Court of Appeals, Colorado district courts throughout the state, and the United States District Courts in Colorado, Wisconsin, and Utah.
Over his career, Tim has helped both people and corporations successfully resolve their disputes with insurance companies through litigation, mediation, and trial, recovering millions of dollars for his clients in the process. In 2015, Tim co-authored a chapter for the third edition of the Colorado Auto-Litigators Handbook (published by CTLA) entitled Searching for Insurance Coverage, and is a co-author of two chapters in the forthcoming Fourth Edition.
Tim has been repeatedly recognized by numerous professional organizations, including Colorado Super Lawyers (Rising Star 2016, 2017, and 2018); the American Society of Legal Advocates (Top 40 under 40 litigation attorney 2015); the Colorado Bar Foundation (Fellow 2014); the Colorado Bar Association (Pro Bono Award 2014); the United States District Court for the District of Colorado (Pro Bono Award 2014); and the Colorado Bar Association Leadership Training program (Graduate 2013).
Tim is a 2010 graduate of the University of Denver, Sturm College of Law. While attending law school, he worked as a research assistant for three professors and completed a number of prestigious internships including one with the Office of Legal Counsel of Governor Bill Ritter, Jr., and another with Judge Ed Bronfin of the Denver District Court. He also won a scholarship to attend The Hague Academy of International Law and had his winning paper published in the Denver Journal of International Law & Policy. Upon graduation, Tim clerked for Judge A. Bruce Jones of the Denver District Court, serving on both civil and domestic relations dockets.
Tim is actively involved in both the legal community and the community at large. He currently serves as a board member for the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association and as a co-chair of CTLA’s New Lawyers Division.
Tim previously served as a board member and Treasurer for the Denver-based music/education nonprofit Youth on Record (2012–2017); as President of the Colorado Lawyer Chapter of the American Constitution Society (2013–15); and as a Council Member of the Colorado Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (2012–14). Other professional memberships include: the American, Colorado, and Denver Bar Associations; the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association; the American Association for Justice; the Faculty of Federal Advocates; and the Plaintiffs’ Employment Lawyers Association.
- Michael J. Rosenberg and Timothy M. Garvey, Searching for Insurance Coverage in Colorado Auto-Litigators Handbook (William Babich ed., 4th ed. 2018) (forthcoming)
- Michael J. Rosenberg and Timothy M. Garvey, Claims Against the Insurance Carrier for Breach, Bad Faith and Unreasonable Delay (William Babich ed., 4th ed. 2018) (forthcoming)
- Timothy Garvey, Opinion, Colorado Senators Should Work To Swiftly Protect Our Federal Trial Court, Denver Post (July 16, 2015), http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_28494038/colorado-senators-should-work-swiftly-protect-our-federal
- Michael J. Rosenberg and Timothy M. Garvey, Searching for Insurance Coverage in Colorado Auto-Litigators Handbook (William Babich ed., 3d ed. 2015)
- CLE Presenter, FFA Panel on Representing Prisoners Through Federal Pro Bono Program (Dec. 2015)
- Timothy M. Garvey, Lawyers, Liars, and the Art of Storytelling: Using Stories to Advocate, Influence, and Persuade, 44 Colo. Lawyer No. 2, 80–81 (February 2015) (book review).
- Tim Garvey, Esq., Flood Insurance Primer, Colorado Bar Association 2013 (used as training materials for Volunteer Attorneys assisting with the Colorado Flood Relief effort).
- Timothy M. Garvey, Let Them Help, 90 Denv. U. L. Rev. Online 13 (2013), available at http://www.denverlawreview.org/online-articles/2013/3/13/let-them-help.html.
- Timothy M. Garvey, Typography for Lawyers: Essential Tools for Polished and Persuasive Documents, 41 Colo. Lawyer No. 12, 81–83 (Dec. 2012) (book review).
- CLE Presenter, Do’s and Don’ts of Courtroom Etiquette, CBA-YLD annual CLE program (2012)
- Guest Lecturer, Practice of Law in the Nonprofit Sector, Sturm College of Law (2012)
- Timothy Garvey, God v. Gays? The Rights of Sexual Minorities in International Law as Seen Through the Doomed Existence of the Brazilian Resolution, 38 J. Int’l L. & Pol’y 659 (2010)
A native of New Jersey, but a proud Colorado resident for nearly 30 years, Tim enjoys all that living in the Mile High City has to offer, including a thriving arts scene and easy access to the Rocky Mountains. Tim also enjoys traveling with his wife to new destinations and exploring new cultures. Prior to attending law school, Tim spent nearly a decade managing one of the country’s best independent record stores (Twist & Shout Records), while simultaneously running a small Denver-based record label (Public Service Records), DJ’ing at several weekly events, and owning a cheesesteak restaurant (Taste of Philly) with his twin brother.