Dangerous Road Conditions: Ice on the Roads
The Denver motorcycle accident lawyers at the Law Office of Shawn E. McDermott are experienced at helping injured riders secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses.
An Experienced Motorcycle Rider and Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
During the winter, ice on the roads is a significant hazard for motorcycle riders (as well as for other drivers) because icy roads make it substantially more difficult to slow, stop, steer or otherwise maneuver a motorcycle. Icy roads and cold temperatures can increase the likelihood that motorcycle equipment will not work properly (for example, icy conditions can increase the chances of brakes locking up). Given these facts, it’s important that motorcycle riders:
- Are especially careful when riding on icy roads
- Are aware of defensive riding techniques in order to reduce their risk of getting into serious motorcycle accidents.
Tips for Riding on Icy Roads
The following are some tips that can help reduce the risk of motorcycle accidents when there is ice on the roads:
- Avoid riding on “black ice” – Black ice refers to icy areas that do not get a lot of sunlight and that, therefore, appear to be as black as the pavement. These areas can be deceptively slick to riders who may not even be able to see that there is ice on the ground. If riding in shady areas is necessary, be sure to go very slowly.
- Apply the brakes well in advance – Because icy roads provide less traction between a motorcycle’s tires and the road, it takes longer for riders to effectively slow down and stop their motorcycles. To compensate for this, be sure to apply the brakes well in advance of a planned stop.
- Keep additional distance between you and the driver in front of you – Following other drivers too closely can increase the risk of accidents, especially on slick and icy roadways. Having additional distance between you and the driver ahead of you will ensure that you give yourself enough room to effectively apply the motorcycle’s brakes.
- Properly maintain your motorcycle – Making sure that your motorcycle is properly maintained is essential to ensuring that it performs as it should even in icy or otherwise unfavorable weather conditions.
Denver, Colorado Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one has recently been injured in a motorcycle accident, you will need an aggressive, experienced attorney who will fight for your rights and help you obtain the compensation you need and deserve. For more than 20 years, the Denver motorcycle accident lawyers at McDermott Law have been dedicated to helping motorcycle accident victims secure the maximum possible compensation for their injuries and losses.
Our trusted motorcycle accident lawyer have extensive knowledge of personal injury law who can build the strongest possible cases. When you work with our respected legal professionals you can rest assured that you will receive top notch representation for your motorcycle accident claim and that you have the best chances of resolving your case as favorably and efficiently as possible.
For more information about your legal rights and entitlements, along with a professional evaluation of your potential case, set up a free consult with our lawyers by calling us at (303) 964-1800 or by emailing us using the form on this screen.