Denver Motorcycle Accident Lawyer – Shawn McDermott
An Experienced Motorcycle Rider and Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Serving All of Colorado’s Riders and Passengers
The Denver motorcycle accident lawyer at McDermott Law, LLC is experienced at securing the maximum compensation for individuals who have been injured in motorcycle accidents caused by others’ negligence.
Though motorcycles continue to be popular, their smaller size makes them dangerous to operate on America’s roadways. When a motorcyclist is involved in an accident, he or she is more likely to be severely injured or killed than is the operator of a car or truck. Fortunately, those injured in motorcycle accidents have legal recourse, as do the relatives of a motorcyclist who suffered wrongful death. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, or a loved one has been killed, please contact McDermott Law to speak to our experienced Denver, Colorado motorcycle accident attorney. Our experienced personal injury lawyer can help you recover compensation for your injuries, lost wages, and other expenses.
There Are Many Potential Causes of a Motorcycle Accident
Riding a street cruiser, sport bike, dual sport, dirt bike, or a scooter is an ever increasing past-time and, for many, a means of transportation. This is especially true in Colorado where the weather allows for a long riding season and plenty of sunshine. The attraction unfortunately can turn hazardous very quickly, many times through no fault of the motorcycle rider. At times, the rider’s actions can lead to injury to a passenger. Some of the many causes of a motorcycle accident in Colorado include:
- Negligence of other drivers
- Weather conditions
- Road conditions
- Distracted driving (talking or texting)
- Driving under the influence
- Riding under the influence
- Ignoring traffic signals and signage
- Inattentive truckers
What Should You Do When You Have Been in a Motorcycle Accident?
1. Remove yourself from dangerous traffic situations. Do not get yourself or another injured again by a second accident.
2. If someone is hurt, call 911 immediately. Even if no injuries, if there is damage to your bike or automobile, call the police or sheriff.
3. Be careful of your comments at the scene of the accidents. Don’t say “I’m sorry” when the accident was not your fault. This can be perceived as admission of wrongdoing on your part. It might be used against you.
4. Speak to the other driver only to get his or her information and to make sure they are OK. Only talk about the accident facts with the police.
5. Get Other Drivers Information:
- Phone number
- Email address
- Make, model and year of the vehicle
- License plate number
- Insurance carrier and policy number
6. Obtain witness information from all passengers, bystanders and other witnesses (names, address, phone numbers, etc.)
7. Everybody has a cell phone these days. Use it. Take pictures/video of the following:
- Damage to your motorcycle/vehicle
- Accident location
- Those involved. Witnesses.
- Road and weather conditions
8. Call YOUR insurance company to report the accident.
9. If injured, be sure to follow up with your doctor.
10. Do not give a recorded statement to any insurance company until you have consulted with an attorney.
11. Do not settle your claim with an insurance company until you have consulted with an attorney.
Contact the motorcycle and automobile accident attorneys at McDermott Law for a free consultation.
The Dangers of Motorcycles
Since the 1800s, motorcycles have been an American pastime and Americans have created and joined a variety of statewide and nationwide motorcycle enthusiast clubs and organizations. Unfortunately, motorcyclists are in constant danger while operating their bikes. In fact, motorcycle fatalities have increased more than 50 percent in a recent five-year period. In 2001, more than 7 percent of motor vehicle fatalities in the United States involved motorcycle crashes, while motorcycles only made up approximately 2 percent of the vehicles on the road. More than 3,180 people were killed in motorcycle-related accidents in 2001.
Many drivers of cars or trucks do not exercise sufficient care in looking out for motorcyclists. Simple acts of negligence committed by motorists, such as speeding or failing to check their car’s blind spot, can cause the injury or death of a motorcyclist. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, please contact Denver, Colorado motorcycle accident attorney Shawn E. McDermott. Our personal injury lawyer is experienced in fighting for the rights of injured motorcyclists and can help you achieve compensation for the costs related to your accident and rehabilitation.
Motorcycle Accident-Related Injuries
In addition to the possibility of dying in motorcycle accident, motorcyclists are at risk for serious and debilitating injuries, including:
- Bone fractures
- Brain, head, and neck (including traumatic brain injury)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Dismemberment; Loss of one or more limbs
- Road rash
- Soft-tissue injuries
It has been estimated that 80 percent of motorcycle crashes result in serious injuries or death to the motorcyclist. In comparison, approximately 20 percent of auto accidents resulted in serious injuries or death.
Begin Your Motorcycle Accident Claim
If you are a motorcyclist who has been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, please contact lawyer Shawn E. McDermott to discuss your claim. Our experienced lawyer will fight on your behalf to recover monetary compensation for any of the following:
- Injuries related to the motorcycle accident
- Hospital and medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of wages
- Bike repair
- Protective gear repair
- Other accident-related costs
Contact Denver, Colorado Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Shawn E. McDermott
Serving Denver, Colorado and surrounding areas, motorcycle accident lawyer Shawn E. McDermott is known for his determination. A personal injury lawyer working in the Denver area since 1992, Shawn strives to recover the maximum monetary compensation available for seriously injured motorcycle accident victims. Contact motorcycle accident attorney Shawn E. McDermott today for a review of your case.